Saturday, March 26, 2011

I have earned every one of these gray hairs

I am quickly approaching my 40th birthday. I know it is not politically correct for a woman to discuss her age but I am really okay with turning 40. The funny thing is that I practically curled up and wanted to die when I turned 30. I saw it as the "end of my youth" (spoken very dramatically). I am ready to reach forty with my gray streaked head held high with pride. I have lived 4 decades and I have the battle scars to prove it. While it's true that gravity is not a friend to my 40 year old body, and I have long since passed my children's idea of old, I am really enjoying this phase of my life. I feel like I am wise enough to not make some of the mistakes of youth (usually) but still youthful enough to be able to laugh at life and not always take it so seriously. Just yesterday I had to laugh at myself as I was jammin out to Colin Raye while I was cleaning the kitchen. I was sporting an invisible guitar and everything. I even laugh at my gray, almost white, hairs. Of course, I try to pull them out one by one when I can see them. Pretty soon I won't have any hairs left on my head if I keep pulling out all the color-challenged ones. :) So, to all of my friends that are slowly approaching 40, hold your head up high. You will soon belong to the club entitled "I have earned every one of these gray hairs". Welcome!

1 comment:

  1. HAHA I can't believe my almost 40 year old sister was actually playing air guitar in the kitchen. You crack me up!!

    ReplyDelete