Wednesday, February 16, 2011

When is a nerf gun dart more than just a nerf gun dart?

I guess I am waxing philisophical today but I found myself looking at my son's nerf gun dart on the floor and being gratetful for it. I know that seems strange, considering they are usually all over the house and I am usually gathering them up for Zach to put in his room... AGAIN. But, seeing that dart on the ground made me think of how one day my home will probably be clean and everything will be in place. It will not be anytime soon, but it will come eventually. I will miss the days of nerf darts on the floor and nagging my kids for the umpteenth time about cleaning their room or doing their chores. Many times in the crazyness of my life, I feel overwhelmed and dream of a time in the day that I can just be alone for 2 minutes. I see the kids running all over and fighting or making messes and I grumble that I am cleaning the same rooms, the same counters, the same bathrooms and the same dirty hands and faces more times than I can count. I often use words like "chaotic", "stressful", and "overwhelming" when describing my life. I occasionally have a little "pity party for one" because my obligations and responsibilities allow me very little personal time. But not right now. Right now I am grateful for that nerf gun dart on the ground and for a playroom that needs cleaning and for messy fingerprint marks on the sliding glass door. I am thankful that my home is full of children, even fighting, grumpy children, because it means my life is full of love and joy and all of the emotions and messes of 5 wonderful children (and a dog). I don't even think I will have Zach pick up that nerf gun dart tonight. Maybe tomorrow... but maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. I registered at Google so I could comment now. I can testify that everything changes in what seems like the twinkling of an eye. You have a great perspective and I love how you and Jan are so articulate on your blogs. I'm so very thankful to know my Kelea, Sami, Zach, A.J., and Jessica have such a nurturing mom! Love You, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a cute post Pauleen!!!! I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for reminding me that I wouldn't want my life any other way then how it is right now. I can relate to this post and as I look around and see my kids toys out all I can do is just smile since I read your post. Your such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete